CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Excuse me, is that a tarantula?


We took off for a quick trip down to Lake Powell, quite honestly one of the most beautiful places in the world. We skiied and camped and wakeboarded til we dropped. The guys did some cliff diving too while I watched. The kids loved hanging out on the boat all day, and night. We bought the kids their own skis before we left and T tried it behind the boat. He got up on his first try and lasted about 10 seconds or less until he got leaning too far back and fell over. He did great, but would not do it again.
We hadn't been since 2001 and I was shocked at how low the Lake is. The pic below is in Forgotten Canyon and is called the Defiance House, a place where the Anasazi lived a long, long time ago. Anyway, if you see our boat in the water in the background and see the line, that is how high it was last time we were there. We actually camped right across from the house and swam there. There is no more water, at all where we had swam. Pretty sad how low it has got.
The kids loved Powell and loved swimming in the 80* bathwater. They got a kick out of the bats circling our boat each night, although T was afraid one was going to suck his blood. I told him "silly boy, bats don't suck your blood and according to Edward, there are nice vampires too." Oh and then I started daydreaming of Edward... but as I digress!
Check out the creepy tarantula. My sis-in-law was sleeping in her tent when all of the sudden spiders crawling in her tent woke her up and freaked her out. She woke up to go outside and was greeted just outside her tent door by this creepy ass tarantula. GROSS! She screamed and managed to trap it! They are pretty quick little things. Again, the kids thought it was great, although only from a distance.

All in all, a great trip to Powell. Hopefully next time it will be longer.






And the gold medal for outstanding sequence of dives goes to...




4 comments:

Shelly said...

Looks like you guys had fun. I have only been there once like 8 years ago, but it was a blast. I'm not sure if I was attacked by spiders if I would ever go back though. I can't believe Tristan is in kindergarten. Time sure does fly. So I tagged you on my blog so you can do it if you want.

Jen Gentry said...

Okay, I have also only been to Powell once (with Shelly) and I absolutely loved it but after seeing that picture of the tarantula I will never be going again. EVER!! I seriously still have the chills and am thinking about throwing up. I HATE SPIDERS!!

Anonymous said...

So I have been meaning to leave you a comment.. I'm a slacker! Anyway, looks like a fun trip.. But then again don't you guys always have fun! I have never been to Powell maybe you guys will have to break me in.. :) We should plan a trip next year... Since summer is winding down at a very rapid pace! Oh and of course your kids look darling as ALWAYS!! :)

Amber said...

Looks like a good time! I can't beleive the tarantula! GROSS! Oh and who is that homeless guy with the kids??? Did you pick him up on the way????