Well I ask you, what could be more fun than going to the fish farm? Ok, a lot of things, but it is like watching fire, you just can't help it. I just had to go. My mom and dad invited the kiddies to go, who love going there by the way. I thought I would have a few hours to myself to go shopping or something equally as fun, like reading. But B wasn't having it, she wouldn't go unless I went. If the truth be told, I was going to go anyway, but I will act like I didn't want to. That charade would last well after we got there, as I pretended I didn't want to fish either. The fish farm we frequent is like an insititution in our family, I have gone there since I was a little girl and it still hasn't changed a bit.
I remember going there with my grandpa K, he would sit in his own folding chair we would bring for him and throw his line in. He was quite the fisherman, although at the fish farm, everyone is. He would catch fish after fish and then ( like a child) bring his line back for my dad or aunt to unhook the fish and put in our bucket. Then when it was off, back in the water and then back out for my dad to unhook. This went on til we caught what we were willing to pay for and we were back on the road.
Well, these trips are not much different. My grandpa has since passed away, well 20 years ago. But T would throw his line in and "snag" one, flinging it out for his papa to get it. Yep, same guy who got to take the fish off for his dad, now gets to take them off for his grandson. Then B got in on the action, yelling "papa, I got one, come get it. Hurry!" They were a riot. I think T got about 10-12 fish and that doesn't count the 10 or so that "got away." ;-)
Well, I took a different approach. There was a pond at the very end that had the big ones. The reason why they are big, is they are smart. T & B started there, but too boring for them, no bites at all. The fish would come up eat that food off the top and be gone. You could see them swimming around teasing us, but they weren't about to fall for the leather on my line. So, I sat....and sat....and sat...and sat... Sweating, waiting, melting. I found a spot where I could hide my line and it blended it with the moss and food. I could see some big ones thinking about it, one especially kept swimming around my line, not quite sure, but sniffing (do fish sniff) for sure.
I just kept throwing food around my hook, keeping it right on top, which is where they were eating, right off the top.
Well, long story long... I got two 4-5 pounders. They were awesome and I felt like quite the angler. I called my hubby to tell him my accomplishment and his words were "wow, that is saying a lot, you caught fish at the fish farm. Wow!" Well, he wasn't there to appreciate all the hard work I had to do to catch these two "thinkers". Trust me, no easy task there.
Anyway, I recommend taking the kids up to the fish farm. Just be careful, its addicting and can be quite costly when you go to leave. All the fish that T caught and B, along with grandma and papa came to $64, skinned and filleted. My two big ones came to $14, although my 2 weighed as much as their 15. Go big or go home, right?












5 comments:
I have to agree with you. I LOVE the fish farm and I am the only one in my family besides Scott who will touch the fish and take them off the hook. We haven't been there yet this year but seeing your pics makes me want to go for sure now. Looks like fun!!!!
How fun! I have never been to the fish farm. I am sure my boy's would love it. Where is it?
What cute pics. It looks like the had a great time!
Oh looks like fun! Can’t wait to take my boys there!! :) Way cute pics! Love the one with both of them, with their serious faces on… Love them!
Isn't it great that we have those traditions to carry on from the grandparents, lets just hope some of the othr traditions don't keep going, like driving in the back seat of grandmas car and telling her how to get to the post office, SCARY! Anyways, I can still see Grandpa with those aviator sunglasses and his striped polo shirt sitting in the chair!
I am just like grandpa and I will not take the hook out of the fish. Although mine isn't because of health reasons it is more because I can't stand to touch them. I am just glad that Scott and Jen are willing to!!
Post a Comment